Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Muringayila Thoran/Drumstick Leaves Stirfry

Last year I was added to a Whats App group which was called as 'Haritha Bavan.' A group that consisted of a group of ladies who loved gardening.Actually I had attended a program on the topic about health issues eating fast food ,eating veggies and fruits that were sprayed with all those health hazard chemicals etc...And it was as a part of that program that I was added to this group.
At first I thought to exit from the group because my Whats App is loaded with "groups"...and though I loved seeing all greenery but was never interested in gardening.I loved seeing all those beautiful,colorful flowers fruits and veggies but sowing seeds and growing them was a big NO for me mainly I didn't find any time and was so lazy for such things.And in my family I have seen only my umma interested in such things.I have seen her putting whatever seeds she had in hand into the soil and how they had grown so well.Long back when in Qatar she had grown all sorts of veggies and fruits from sweet potatoes to tomatoes, chillies, Carrots,Papayas,Cucumber,Pumpkin,Curry leaves and different types of beans...And so many lovely flowers like Roses Jasmines etc...Now coming back to the group,every one started putting images of their seedlings,then after sometime their full grown plants along with fruits etc...and so many shared their lovely experiences on how they used to watch them grow each day,week month etc...So many have posted good tips and tricks and so many put such lovely videos on how they turned their brown area into green(a dessert into green).A few of them shared their terrace gardening etc..
   In short, last year I too grew lots of tomatoes,a few chillies and pumpkins.Also planted a branch of a drumstick ,which has now grown into a big tree and today's recipe is from its leaves.
Ingredients
Drumstick leaves     2 cups tightly packed(avoid all the stems)
Onion       1 medium chopped
Coconut (grated)    1/2 cup
Cumin seeds      1/4 tsp
Garlic cloves     2
Green chillies    2 slit
Turmeric Powder  1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil    2 tsp
Mustard seeds   1/4 tsp
Method
-Remove the leaves from the stem.Clean and wash the leaves well.Drain and holding together the leaves just chop them(chopping is just optional).Keep this aside.
-Heat oil in a wok and splutter the mustard seeds.Now add in the leaves along with the chopped onion and the green chilies.Add 2-3 tbsp of water.Mix well and cover with a lid.
-Coarsely grind the coconut,cumin seeds and the garlic pods.Add this to the leaves along with turmeric powder and salt.Again mix well and keep covered for 5 minutes or till the water dries up and the leaves are cooked well.
-Serve with hot rice and curry.





15 comments:

  1. Lovely thoran which is very healthy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So flavourfull!! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love drumstick cooked in curry but I have never tasted the leaves. I have heard so much about the health benefits of the leaves. Maybe I will try to grow my own tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muringayila thoran adipoli. Always fun to watch the plant grow and give their fruits and leaves. My muringa tree is still small as it die every winter and try to comes back not fruit is possible because of season. I still get some leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthiest green , I love it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must get hold of drumstick leaves and make the stir fry.. looks so healthy and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my all time favourite. Back home we have never paid for these and here i dont get them either. I buy when i see these in jeddah for 3 riyals... this is a very nostalgic dish. I love gardening but not had any luck so far here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've cut down on whatsapp groups. Cant't cope, I think life is more meaningful by spending time with my loves ones instead staring at phone all the way. This drumstick leaves dish speaks of healthiness. My tree is growing, but still at infant stage. Waiting for the leaves to sprout further.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, homegrown drumstick leaves!! This is such a nutritious and yummy dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear that you grew your own veggies. This veggies look super yum and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever we get muringayila, it mostly becomes thoran, it's easier to eat that way... hehe... looks so good...

    ReplyDelete
  12. a different & interesting dish.............love to try.

    ReplyDelete

Friends...
Thank you for your visit and thanks a ton for your lovely comments....
So always keep in touch with your valuable comments and suggestions....
It means a lot to me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...